Mindfulness-based Cognitive Therapy (MBCT) is recommended by the UK’s National Institute of Clinical Excellence and is as effective as drugs for preventing depression. But, more importantly, it also works for the rest of us who are struggling to keep up with the constant demands of the modern world.
The aim of this programme is to promote awareness of your mind and body through the cultivation of mindful awareness. It is suitable for people wishing to enhance their general physical and mental wellbeing.
NB The programme is not being offered as a treatment for any specific physical or psychological conditions. It is not suitable for people who are currently experiencing very severe problems in these areas. We will ask you for some information pertaining to your general well-being and state of mind to ensure the course is suitable for you at this time. Any information you provide will be kept strictly confidential.
The OMC offers an 8-week MBCT programme for the general public. Each course takes a maximum of 25 people. You must be aged 18 years or over to take this course. Please only book this course for yourself. We must ensure that the details given are accurate and may need to call you to make sure that the course is suitable for you at this time.
The programme consists of 8 x 2-hour group sessions, where there will be guided experiential practice and some theoretical teachings. In between sessions, there will be home practice for people to do and we estimate this takes approximately 1 hour/day. Each participant will receive guided meditation CDs and written handouts. There is also an ‘all-day’ practice session included in each programme, which is held on a Saturday.
Evening programmes run from 6.00pm to 8.00pm. Daytime programmes run from 10.00am to 12.00pm. The ‘all-day’ Saturday is from 10:00am – 4:00pm (coffee from 9:30am).
View more information about the 8-week MBCT course.
We are unable to keep a waiting list for these courses. In the event of a cancellation, the available place will be made available here.
Dates for 2015: -All courses are now fully booked-
- Tuesday evenings 13 January – 3 March (6pm-8pm), and Saturday 21 February (10am-4pm)
- Monday evenings 19 January – 9 March (6pm-8pm), and Saturday 28 February (10am-4pm)
- Friday mornings 30 January – 20 March, (10am-12pm), and Saturday 7 March (10am-4pm)
- Friday mornings 24 April – 12 June (10am-12pm), and Saturday 30 May (10am-4pm)
- Tuesday evenings 28 April – 16 June (6pm-8pm), and Saturday 6 June (10am-4pm)
- Monday evenings 1 June – 20 July (6pm-8pm), and Saturday 18 July (10am-4pm)
- Wednesday evenings 9 September – 28 October (6pm-8pm), and Saturday 17 October (10am-4pm)
- Tuesday evenings 22 September – 10 November (6-8pm), and Saturday 31 October (10am-4pm)
- Monday evenings, 28 September – 16 November (6-8pm), and Saturday 7 November (10am-4pm)
- Friday mornings, 2 October – 20 November (10am-12pm), and Saturday 14 November (10am-4pm)
- Thursday mornings, 8 October – 26 November (10am-12pm), and Saturday 21 November (10am-4pm)
Dates may be subject to change.
All teachers who teach MBCT courses at the OMC are fully trained and certified competent to teach MBCT. They adhere to the Good Practice Guidelines
We have also trained a large number of MBCT teachers, who teach in various settings around the UK, to competency. They have received the OMC ‘Certificates of Competence to teach MBCT’.
Many other teachers around the UK offer Mindfulness courses. If someone has trained at the OMC they should either show their ‘Certificate of Competence to teach MBCT’ or if they have done only a workshop or shorter training this should be clearly indicated
Consent to Use Material from Mindfulness Classes for Supervision Purposes: For supervision purposes it is helpful for teachers to video record their teaching sessions. No identifying information about participants will be given. Videos will be securely stored and your confidentiality protected. The recordings will be erased once supervision has been completed. You will be asked for your consent to this at the time of application.
Cancellation Policy: If you wish to cancel your booking we will refund your fee, with a deduction of £20 to pay for administration, if you let us know 28 days or more before the workshop takes place. If you are not able to give us 28 days notice, we will not be able to give you a refund.
If you have questions about the classes please see our FAQs page.
If you have another query not answered on our site or would like to speak to someone about this programme before registering then please contact us.